Monday, April 18, 2016

10 Block Walk Scene 7 Complete

Yesterday, I sent a fresh copy of Scene 7 from my second opera The Ten-Block Walk over to the librettist, Christie Lee Gibson. This is the fun part of the process. I like sharing the new scenes with Christie and hearing her feedback. There are always bits to change and improve, and, this time, I am especially eager to have a singer and pianist take a look at it.


I wrote the movement in a sort of short score fully understanding that no single pianist in the world could play all the parts. After reducing the score down for piano and voice, I am interested to see the elements that come through in the reduction. More on that soon...

In this scene, the Old Woman walks by a graveyard, and she ponders her remaining time on earth. It's a little dark but also uplifting, and I think the music reflects those emotions.

Here's a small sample:


No comments:

Post a Comment